Thursday 24 December 2015

"Why Am I an Idol Fan?" Okay! Musume Time Competition Entry

I have been an avid idol fan since 2007. When I have introduced my liking of idols to people I always get questions about why I would like something so different to what the music is like in the UK. The simple answer is because of the same reason you like your musical artists. Their music speaks out to you, and they themselves as a person reach out to you in some way whether its entertaining or they connect to you in an emotional way.

The reason I love idols is because of the sheer happiness they give me. When I watch my favourite idols perform on stage with the biggest grins on their faces I can't help but return a smile back to the screen. It's such an amazing thing to think that a young Japanese girl is singing her heart out, whilst I'm over here in the UK on the other side of the world loving their energy. It just shows how much of a connection idols have created all over the world.


I've always been a person, that when they face an obstacle, always seems to be very pessimistic about my problems. However, when I discovered idols it was their strength and their work ethic which kept me motivated to always look on the bright side of things no matter what happens. Idols have taught me that everything happens for a reason, and that when one door closes another one opens. And it's always exciting to open that door and discover new things all the time. I see idols in the public eye and how difficult of a job it must be to work so many days of the year singing, dancing and travelling all over the country. It's so easy to look at it and think of how amazing it must be to be an idol but I can imagine how hard it must be too. I've seen idols look worn out and tired, but they always seem to have bright smiles on their faces and fight their obstacles with courageous spirit and it inspires me to do the same.

I have a lot of people in my life who don't understand why I love idols so much, but it's because despite them being famous singers and dancers I truly feel connected to them like I am a sister or a friend. I think it's brave when an idol has debuted with no talent and then after a few years they have blossomed into such amazing talent. I think it's an amazing journey to see a girl accomplish her dreams.


Another aspect of idols that I love is that I have learned to always be myself in any given situation. I have seen idols who have been quiet, and loud, and passionate and sometimes cold. However, I could never fault an idol for her personality because that's who she truly is. Fans can criticize an idol for who she is, but no matter who it is I always have the upmost respect for the girls that they remain true to their roots. Idols have taught me that pretending to be someone else never gives you happiness. In fact it can make your life a lot more sad.

Without idols I don't think I would be as happy as I am now. I have moments where I have had a bad day or a bad week and I've never wanted to speak to anyone about my problems. Then I sit down to watch my favorite idols in skits, shows and performances and suddenly I forget about my problems. Without realizing it idols have helped me a lot with my problems. They give me an escape when I needed it.

I've written quite a lot about why idols are important to me, but really in hindsight you can't really explain it. It's the moments you get caught up in happiness or emotion with idols. It can be shaking her hand at a handshaking event, or sat inside on a rainy day watching their concert. It's those special, personal moments that truly defines why I love idols.


No comments:

Post a Comment