Tuesday 22 December 2015

One and Only - モーニング娘。'15 REVIEW



Today's review will be Morning Musume '15s 60th single! This release is a triple A-side and will be Sayashi Riho's graduation single. However, today I will be reviewing one of the A-sides called One and Only. This song is a collaboration with J-Melo and NHK and this is the first release or Morning Musume's where it is sang in English. Not just the odd English phrase inserted into the Japanese but this song is one hundred percent English.

I think it must have been very difficult for the girls to sing in English and pronounce the words correctly, but with the 12th gen member Miki being fluent in English I'm sure she helped the girls a lot with the pronounciation. And apart from one or two little slip ups in the song I think the group did well considering they don't speak an awful lot of English apart from the common phrases they would use in concerts and overseas events.

I am happy that this single breaks away from the traditional EDM sound. It's a signature genre for this line up but I feel like venturing into different genres helps the continuity of singles a lot so they don't sound boring after some time. It's also what Morning Musume is about. Their whole discography has never been faithful to one genre, they have expanded across so many which is what I love about this group.

Image result for one and only morning musume 15

The song is very simple in it's instrumentation but it flows very well throughout and the melody is so catchy! It's very easy to memorize because it is in English but despite that, the tune is just so simple and catchy which is what makes me love this song so much. The group worked well together as a unit and I think the line distribution is very good so it showcases Morning Musume '15 as a united idol group.

Alongside the song I think the music video accessorizes with the song fantastically! It is very faithful to a lot of older Morning Musume PVs where we would have the green screen that was so random and colorful. The use of cheesy green screen and bright colours was a signature feature in older Morning Musume PVs. So I am very excited for it to be making a comeback for this release. I love the bright colours but it's not so in your face that it blinds you. Sometimes when using bright colours they can clash and they can look unpleasant but they look good here.


The choreography is very simple, so it allows the members to incorporate their own personalities into the moves and it comes across in the solo and group solos shots too. Not one member stands out more than the other which is what I love in Morning Musume PVs. I love this line up right now and everyone shines so I am very happy to see everyone having their moment in the PV. They all look so pretty and energetic too! I just have so much fun watching the girls in this PV. I have to say I am very impressed with the 12th gen in this music video too. They have become more naturally confident in front of the camera so I am very excited to see more of those girls.


What I loved about the energy of the girls in this PV was how it reminded me of how young these girls are. They come across as very mature for their age because of how the group is portrayed, so it is very nice and refreshing for the members to showcase their youth. It also connects very nicely with the lyrics which are about a girl that they look up to as an idol and despite her flaws she is still their inspiration.


I really do hope that Morning Musume '15 release more songs like this in the future. I don't want them to get rid of their EDM sound because I still love it, but right now I love the variety of sound that they have in this new single.


I still need watch the PVs and listen to the other two A-sides but from what I have seen so far I know I will be just as impressed with them as I have been with One and Only. Despite Riho Sayashi graduating, I am very excited to see what this group will be getting up to with their releases next year!


RATING: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment