Monday 20 May 2013

Tanaka Reina ~~Graduation Commemoration Post~~

How can you write about a Morning Musume member who is due to graduate yet you don't really know what to write? Tomorrow is Tanaka Reina's graduation from Morning Musume and of course a lot of wotas and fans hearts will be breaking that their MoMusu oishii will be leaving. Do not fear though Reina will not be disappearing from the face of the earth, she will still be in the music industry with her new rock project Lovendor. So it is a big massive part of Morning Musume that will be graduating but at the same time it isn't going to end the world.

Now when I first became a fan of Morning Musume Reina did stand out to me at the start. At this point the first song I'd come across by Morning Musume was Onna ni Sachi Are and Reina was one of the girls that was pushed to the front. So, really I had no choice but to take notice of her. And she did stand out to me, with her sultry glares, I would have said stares but glares sounds more like our yankee Reina. I thought she was very beautiful and really fit with the theme of the song with her pretty vocals. I've never thought of Reina as having a strong voice in terms of Ai and Gaki but she always had this pretty tone to her voice that I always liked.
However, after a while and becoming more familiar with Morning Musume and all of their other member, I learned to realise that this was the Reina I would always be given. In Onna ni Sachi Are I thought her careless attitude was due to the song being a serious one and this was just her relating to the songs. However, in singles after that and even to this day I realised this was the Reina we would always have. She still had amazing talents and looks but it never seemed like she was as passionate about Morning Musume like Michishige Sayumi for example.

In earlier songs such as Shabondama Reina had passion and looked like she enjoyed herself and that was the Reina I loved. I will be honest and say I loved Reina from the beginning of her Morning Musume career compared to the Reina now. I still like her, but I loved her energy and much more mature sounding voice in her earlier years in comparison to now. Through the Platinum Era Reina's vocals turned very squeaky and now she does sometimes sound mature but that's only depending on the kind of song she is given to sing.
There was times where I really loved Reina in her career and then there were times where I still liked her but she just meshed with the other members of Morning Musume who also just meshed into the background. But I have never had a dislike towards Reina, she has always been one of my favourite vocalists. Of course behind Ai, because if you know me, you will know that no other idol no matter what will top Ai in being the perfect idol. And in terms of being an idol, despite all of the glitter and cat ears etc, Reina never really seemed like an idol to me. Her bored personality kind of took her away from that and her lack of an idol personality made me think of Reina as more of a much more serious, professional singer. From what I've heard of Lovendor so far Reina does need to transition from her idol vocals to a much more rockier vocals but it isn't going to happen overnight. And if Reina doesn't want to be seen as an idol anymore she really needs to get rid of the glitter and cat ears she has been wearing in performances because even if she is graduating, it still makes Lovendor Reina look like the Morning Musume Reina.

It isn't going to happen overnight but if Reina manages to change her image and vocals to conform better to a rock group then they will sound fantastic. And from the previews I've heard of their first album so far I have good hopes for this group, but I don't know how they will do sales wise.
In terms of Reina's graduation I do hope she goes out with a good farewell due to her 10 long hard working years as a member of Morning Musume. I do hope the concert is one that showcases Reina well with plenty of glitter and bows to last a lifetime. Even though there were times where Reina didn't stand out the most to me, I've always liked her and respected her as a member of Morning Musume. There have been times in her career where she was isolated from the rest of the group but she still managed to go onto the stage with a smile and interact with her fans which I think is a true quality in an idol. No matter what happens you can always smile and keep the spirit within your fans hearts. I will miss Reina, but at the same time I am very excited to hear what Morning Musume have to offer once Reina is gone.

What do you think of Reina's graduation? With only 24 hours left I will be excited to hear what the other members have to say to Reina as their farewells. Another member of an amazing era has retired her idol microphone ready for the next line up of Morning Musume to take it's place.



Farewell to the glittery yankee of Morning Musume! I wish you all the best for Lovendor!


No comments:

Post a Comment