Tuesday 28 May 2013

Shangai Honey - Orange Range (Review)

Hello guys!

Now today's blog post is a little different to my usual blog posts. Usually, I have planned what song I want to review next but this week I've been in the mood to discover some new Japanese acts (well not new-new but acts that I've come across for the first time). Phew! I'm glad I got that confusion out the way! And back to the topic I basically asked people I knew online if they had any requests to send my way and my good friend Nakatsu asked me to review Shangai Honey by Orange Range!


Now the song didn't click with me straight away cause the rapping was a turn off for me (out of the J-Rock bands I know Uverworld is the only band that's impressed me with their rapping) but apart from that I like the rest of the song! The group has a lot of energy and really know how to gel together well. The chorus' were very catchy and I still have them stuck in my head! I'm a big fan of J-Rock and a lot of stuff I get introduced to or discover is usually v-kei and a lot of it is dark, so many J-Rock acts I like have dominantly dark music material. But it's a nice breath of fresh air to discover a band such as Orange Range who are still rock but they have a much more upbeat, positive vibe about them. And it's a very catchy song for me to listen to through the summer and I think with a few more listens I will definitely download it. Songs are only legit for me once they are downloaded onto my mp3 player because I cannot leave the house without it. And i cannot risk 40 minute bus drives to university and back if there isn't any good music to listen to. I think this song will be a grower on my list just for it's catchiness and simplicity. I'm glad it wasn't an  over the top and complicated song.

Then when I watched the PV (Original version) and I just couldn't stop giggling throughout the whole thing. It was like they were doing a slap stick of a typical 90's RnB music video with the bodyguards stood with the speakers and the typical slim women swimming around in a pool. But then you get this other woman who enters who is completely different to the other women (in this case she is much more muscular and less feminine) and suddenly the band are all rushing to grab her attention instead of the typically beautiful women you'd expect them to fawn over. So I loved how they tricked us into thinking they were being serious and then pull one over on us when they do something different to what I expected. So I learned my lesson in the sense that just because you see a beautiful woman doesn't mean every man is going to bow down to her feet to be their prince charming. Thank you Orange Range for giving me morals! (Sorry I sound so hyper in this I'm drinking wine as I'm writing, naughty Jen! haha!)

Speaking of wine as I watched this PV I giggled and laughed a lot at how many sexual innuendos there are in the music video! They're better in screencaps because wording them will not give them justice:


Here is the stereotypical white bikini I always seem to see in music videos to suggest supposed "innocence". All I can think is Beeeatch please!
And the more I watch this the more I realize why they have white bikinis. Well Orange Range don't have X-ray vision do they? Dirrrrty! Hehe! Can't blame a guy for trying!!
However, these girls know what Orange Range's gameplan is and so with their oh-so-awesome dance moves they show the guys that they are thinking to insinuate they have intelligence and should not be just looked at! You go girls you show them! Let them work hard for their Asian rendezvous! GRR!
No, girls this isn't a pure love when you ruin your plans by shaking your toooshe to the camera! I thought we had something here girls but oh well...keep shaking the booty!
Oh but these girls don't care what I have to say do they? I thought it was sisters before misters.
Well no more respect from me! Even though those bikinis are quite pretty!
One compliment and they agree with my thoughts again! Women should not be seen as a common object! So they brought their friend Gunta to prove a point! You go girl! You flex those lady muscles!
Now these guys just can't make their minds up about who they want can they? And you white vest dude, put your mic away! We're in public! Come on it's so strategically placed you have to turn onto dirty mind mode here!
But I think Gunta has the same idea as me about these perverted men! She's shown her rage with lightning and hurricanes to scare them off! Make them work for your affections! Go Gunta!
Pfft! Didn't take long for these two did it! What happened to sisters before misters and bros before hos? You all make me sick! I'll just drink more wine to drown my sorrows!
Now this guy can agree with me! Bring on the bubbly, we'll both get drunk while these young'uns go on with their escapades of orange themed fun!
But don't think that popping that bottle open in that way is going to make me think dirty thoughts!
You sir are totally wrong!
I'm sorry but can anyone else see this innuendo? It's too rude for me to put it simply!
But through all of my mind war games of morals and people popping mics and bottles we forgot about one poor little fellow! The drummer who hasn't managed to have a break! Through the PV I realized the drummer was not interested in those women at all. He's probably looking for an intelligent woman to share clever banter with, I can spare some time comrade!
Or you could hang out with these two cool speaker dudes and fill out the health and safety forms? With all of that water you knew there would be loads of paperwork! You could have ran with the ladies but instead you decided to work hard! Good for you!

Sorry for the weirdest screen caps! It's just when I watched this music video this is what I was thinking throughout the whole thing. There were so many suggestions and innuendos that with all of the wine I've had it made me giggle so much and I had to share this with you! It's a very fun music video to watch and it was a simple stage set, pool and beach and I liked the whole white and orange themes of the women's bikinis to showcase different things. From my perspective I think the white represented the plain look that we get given in the media when it comes to women in Japan and then we get this orange bikini'd woman who is not the type of girl we see in the magazine, and the way the band are attracted to her proves something. That girls we see everyday in the magazines aren't what men always want. Everyone has different types and it's a shame the media can't really recognize that.

I think I might give Orange Range a chance and listen to more of their songs! Despite it being catchy it didn't click with me straight away so I might check out more of their other songs to see if they can still pull me in and make me a fan! And thank you to Nakatsu again for this request I had a lot of fun writing this blog post!
Guys if you have anymore requests for me in the future, please do not hesitate to request them to me! They can be H!P, AKB, any other idol groups, J-Rock or even some K-Pop if you feel adventurous!

Thanks for reading!







No comments:

Post a Comment