Monday 9 July 2012

cha cha SING - Berryz Kobou REVIEW


Today Berryz Kobou's 29th single cha cha SING's MV was released on youtube. When the sneak peek of the song was revealed a little while ago, despite it only being a 3 minute chunk of the song, I couldn't get the catchy melody and tune of the song out of my head. At random moment, I kept singing chachachachacha in my head for hours on end!

When I heard the title of the song before I heard the song properly, my first reaction was that it would be another upbeat, happy song like Be Genki was. I did love Be Genki but I was hoping that cha cha SING would be something completely different. When I heard the style of the song and it's Thai influences I was kind of shaken off the trails that my expectations had lead me to. I never really listen to Thai/Indian style music but I loved how cha cha SING converged the Thai genre and the classical H!P pop sound together to create a hybrid that follows the classic H!P fans expectations, but still allows them to discover a new genre of music that they wouldn't normally want to give a chance to in the first place. I think in the past H!P was very predictable with what the expectations were when it came to the fans. However, I am very optimistic about this new transitions of a new H!P with Morning Musume's success with One Two Three and now with Berryz Kobou venturing into new territories with their music!

The setting of the MV definitely reminded me of Happy Summer Wedding and Koko No Iruzee! The use of colours with the backdrop definitely reminded me of Koko No Iruzee and then the costume were like a modern update of the Happy Summer Wedding costumes. The song is very busy in terms of melodies and tune, and so I was very happy that the music video wasn't too complicated or over the top. The cuts throughout the music video were very clean and I loved how each member was showcased equally. The solo shots and the dance shot coincided with each other very well and each of the members looked like they were having a lot of fun in the dance and their solo shots, so it allowed a good pace throughout the final MV and it maintained their happy energy throughout it! Of course, to make smooth transitions I did notice one or two more serious, pouty shots and Risako's and Maasa's definitely stuck in my head the most! Captain also stood out for me a lot in this video as well, and even though she doesn't get many lines in comparison to Miyabi I think she definitely stood out in the music video with her contagious smile and facial expressions!

I was a big massive fan of the costumes, especially the head pieces. I knew it was meant to suit a Thai style but the first thing that came to my head was The Tudors with how large and royal the headpieces looked. Not many people may agree with me, but I did think of Tudor fashion when I first saw them, but that's just my interpretation. I also loved the colour co-ordination of the outfits with Risako, Miyabi and Momoko wearing red tops and then the rest were wearing blue. When I first saw the costumes I thought Yurina might have been wearing red because she does have a lot of lines so I thought the red would symbolise the main singers of the single, but now I've seen the dance shot it would look uneven if Yurina did wear red as well. I think the use of red and blue was very effective and it did show the girls in a royal light, and it co-ordinated well with the yellow so it didn't clash badly. They also looked very comfortable to dance in as well, so I was glad that it allowed the girls to dance spectacularly in this.

The dance routine does look very easy to follow and learn and I know a lot of J-Pop dancers on youtube (like myself) will be learning this dance and be uploading it within next week! I don't blame them, the dance looks very fun and easy to learn and I also loved how like the song the dance also used traditional moves that are also very easy for audience to recognise.

I was very happy that this song showcased all of the members of Berryz and I do think each member gets at least 2 solo lines, and I think it showcased all of them brilliantly because I cannot deny how talented every member of Berryz Kobou is. I am not the biggest fan of Momoko though but I cannot deny that she sounded very mature in this and this is what I've wanted to see/hear for a long time to come. I'm not a huge fan of her kiddy idol character and I have been wanting her to act more mature so I was happy that music video did make her look a little more grown up despite those awful pigtails. Risako Sugaya (my bias) once again blew me away with her amazing vocals and her vibrato used in this musical style does show that Risako is a very talented singer!!!!

RATING: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment