Saturday 9 February 2013

~~Kono Machi Review~~

Hey everyone!
How are you? Good? Then let's get cracking!

C-ute released their 20th single this week and it was a cover of Chisato Moritaka's Kono Machi. Unfortunately, it hasn't received a lot of sales and the latest update as I post this is that they have sold 19,000 copes approximately  Which is very low, even for H!P standards, and it is such a smack in the mouth for diehard C-ute fans like me who were so excited that their sales were increasing. And then we get given this single and everything goes downhill.

Now, Kono Machi is a lovely song but when I first heard it, it was one of those ballads that took me a long time to finally love it. Usually, with H!P songs they get me within the first few listens, but it took me days for me to like this song. The tune wasn't very memorable and I always forgot how the song went as soon as I finished listening to it. The only thing that made the song stand out for me was the spoken parts because they were so beautiful. The electric guitar interlude that plays in the last spoken parts also made me all sentimental...
What made me love it really was when I saw the English translation of the lyrics. The story of the song is about returning to your hometown to a past childhood love and reminiscing all of the memories you had with this person but also realizing how much home really means to you. The story of the song really made me connect to the song due to me living in a town by the sea and one of the lines mentions how the beach has disappeared now. There is also another line about how it's been two years since everything has passed and both me and my boyfriend live in seaside towns and have been dating two years so this song is just so perfect for me lyrically.

The vocal performances of the girls is also what entices me when I realize what they are actually singing about. And the spoken thoughts they have also makes it more emotionally connecting for all involved.

The PV was also just like the song, plain and not very memorable. Once again, H!P resorted back to the simple white background sets and green screen. The solo shots were also in plain backgrounds so it didn't add much to the video. However, I have to agree that even though the simplicity didn't make it a very memorable PV, if there was a lot more added it would take away from the song.

The pictures they used for the backgrounds were very pretty but they were out of proportion with the girls and I didn't know why they looked glitchy. I also wish they used simpler costumes to make them go with the music video more. I do like the use of red costumes and they are very pretty but I couldn't really use them for a ballad. I would have used the outfits for this PV for another H!P single altogether.

Now Airi looks effortless as always and her vocals were amazing as always. One thing that bothers me a little though and I must be nitpicking but I just wanna point it out. She has had the same hairstyle for PVs for a little while now and I do wish she could have a bit more variety with her hair. Just saying...please don't kill me!

Saki was also cute as always and she always makes me smile. Even though she isn't a lead vocalist I love how she always manages to look like she's having the time of her life in PVs.

Mai, what the hell happened to you? You look beautiful! Usually you were just cute and that was it and never stood out for me. In this PV however, you looked so flawless. I like this new grown up Mai!

Chisato, you blew me away! You were gorgeous and all I have to say is...eyes!!!!

And of course we end on an amazing note with my oishii Maimi! :D You really suited this song and your simple expressions really made me connect with the song. I loved your spoken lines in the best; they were just so flawless! And keep your hair long it looks so beautiful like that! Do not cut it! And one more word...legs!!!

Sorry for the mess up of how I wrote this post. I went from making it into a mature review to just a fangirling of the girls. I do apologize. Even though this song is a beautiful song it won't remain as a memorable C-ute release for me I'm afraid. And this is coming from someone who, apart from Morning Musume, C-ute is their Number 1 H!P group!

RATING: 7/10
(To be honest if I didn't have such a connection to the song I might have given it a lower rating :S Probably a 5...)

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Would you like to exchange links?

    I like how you call Maimi your 'oishii'. Lol.

    ReplyDelete